On the 27th and 28 March 2019, members of NECTM joined the 8th LRB Meeting hosted by ELRC’s Language Resource Board in Amsterdam. Talks were given by representatives of the European Commission, such as June Lowery-Kingston, Head of Unit G.3 Accessibility, Multilingualism and Safer Internet; followed by several country report presentations from National Anchor Points. Overall, the meeting revealed invaluable insights into the main challenges of data sharing across member states.
The NECTM team worked to engage National Anchor Points at the meeting, by discussing and sharing knowledge on the benefits of centralising data to aid the development of sustainable data supply chains.
“We are very happy to have engaged National Anchor Points from all over the EU at this event. It has become clear that there is a huge need for language data centralization at national levels and also the tools to manage it.”
– Amando Estela, CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER
A crucial aspect of the NECTM project, is to promote better data-sharing practices; currently, public administrations lack awareness on the benefits of open data and how language, specifically TMs (translation memories), can be capitalised as a resource for AI. The 8th LRB Meeting facilitated the creation of synergies between the different projects across Europe and allowed for the NECTM team to establish further contact and engagement with the National Anchor Points.
“Our project, the National and European Central Translation Memory (NEC TM) offers knowledge about public spending in translation services (the size of the public translation market in each Member State) and also the software for public administrations to manage a central TM. This benefits the teams of translators at public administrations by centralising all TMs and creating national Big Data. Another advantage is fuzzy matching -an industry
standard- which now the buyer (the Public Administration) can manage.”
– Manuel Herranz Perez, CEO
IP Legal Services for NEC TM EU project
Pangeanic is currently asking for bids to help with the legal framework of its EU NEC TM project. Our firm is well-established and has built a solid reputation in the language technology field and provides a wide variety of translation services, data collection and language technology services to governments, institutions and commercial clients.
The legal services contract will become part of NEC TM’s solid framework in its Public Administration data sharing project and will facilitate the organisation of translation data assets (translation memories) which are currently held by contractors after the service is provided and not returned to the Public Administration with the translation service.
Bids are open to legal firms around the EU and EEA countries.
Responsibilities and Scope of the Contract:
- Establish a legal framework for the national implementation of NEC TM (as based on ActivaTM) in all Member States.
- Define the scope of IP for data in national translation contracts
- Establish general guidelines for Member States to incorporate translation memory collection as part of their legislation
- Define and establish a legal framework for data sharing from Member States Public Administrations to the EC’s central translation memory
You will need:
- A law degree and at least 2 years’ experience in the legal profession
- Sound knowledge of IP as related to translation memory ownership or the translation sector
- Use existing Open Data and Data Sharing agreements as a reference
- Familiarity with EC contracts and policies with regards to data collection initiatives
- Engage with existing initiatives that are establishing legal frameworks for translation memory and data collection for the EC
- Experience in mediation and negotiation with a confident and measured approach to conflict resolution
- Liasion with Pangeanic’s NEC TM team
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills including strong presentation skills
- Effective use of computer systems for the generation of professional reports, scheduling and client database management
- Strong relationship-building skills
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Good organisational skills and capacity to be detail-oriented
- High level of integrity and professional accountability
This role represents a great opportunity within a dynamic, challenging and professional environment. If you are interested and meet the selection criteria, please send your offer the legal services contract and cover letter to Víctor Ignacio, email@example.com
Find more information about Career opportunities at: https://www.pangeanic.com/professional-translation-company/careers/
The NEC TM consortium has published two initial documents on the NEC TM platform to meet the first milestone agreed with the European Commission. The Functional Description details the functional specifications of the NEC TM Platform. This document was drafted by Pangeanic and was presented to other consortium members at the kick-off conference in Paris on the 20-22 September with the aim to improve the consortium’s understanding of the core functionalities of the NEC TM System. The Technical Description describes the software design, architecture and system design of NEC TM. This document was also drafted by Pangeanic and published on the 28/09/2018.